Who Pays My Medical Bills after a Car Accident In Fort Lauderdale?

Motor vehicle accidents can leave motorists with serious injuries that take months or even years to heal. Some injuries may be permanent and require at-home care and years of physical therapy, making it impossible for the accident victim to go back to work. With the bills piling up, it is no surprise that victims and their families are often worried about who will pay their medical bills after a car accident.

Fortunately, you have options. The attorneys at Farmer, Jaffe, Weissing, Edwards, Fistos & Lehrman, P.L. will discuss those options with you and help you recover the compensation you need so you can recover physically and mentally from the accident. Call us for a free consultation: 954-524-2820.

What medical expenses might I have after an accident?

Your total medical expenses will depend on the extent of your injuries. If you are lucky, your injuries will be minor and not require any high-cost medical procedures. However, the reality is that many accident victims do suffer severe injuries and require extensive, expensive medical care. Many accident victims need:

  • Physical therapy
  • At-home care
  • Surgeries
  • Psychological treatment
  • Round-the-clock care in a facility

How will I pay for my medical expenses after an accident?

Accident victims should not need to decide between paying their bills and receiving the treatment they need to recover from an accident. And you do not need to. You have options for recovering compensation after an accident.

Will my own insurance cover my medical expenses?

Motorists in the state of Florida must have personal injury protection (PIP), or no-fault, coverage. This means that if you get in an accident, your insurer will cover up to $10,000 in medical expenses and lost wages, regardless of fault.

Under Florida Statute § 627.736, PIP benefits will cover up to 80 percent of all reasonable and necessary medical expenses up to $10,000. These expenses may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Rehabilitative services
  • Surgical costs
  • X-rays
  • Hospital stays
  • Nursing services
  • Ambulance costs

Note: You must visit a doctor within 14 days of your accident to recover PIP benefits. For this reason, it is imperative that you receive medical care at the scene, head straight to the emergency room, or make an appointment with your doctor right after the accident.

While $10,000 is significant, it often does not cover all of the medical expenses incurred by accident victims. Fortunately, those with severe injuries may have a way to recover even more damages.

Can I file a claim against the other driver?

In many cases, accident victims rack up tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills. The no-fault benefits you receive may not be nearly enough to cover all your expenses. Also, no-fault benefits do not cover property damage or non-economic damages such as mental anguish and pain and suffering.

As a result, many accident victims need much more than their own insurance can give them. In such cases, you may be able to file suit against the other driver or other parties that are at-fault for your accident and injuries.

However, under Florida’s no-fault insurance law, not all accident victims are able to file personal injury suits after an accident. Per Florida Statute § 627.737, accident victims may sue only if they have suffered “serious injury” according to the law.

An injury meets the serious injury criterion if it involves:

  • Death
  • Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function
  • Permanent injury (within reasonable degree of medical certainty)
  • Permanent and significant scarring or disfigurement

If you can prove serious injuries, you will be able to step outside the no-fault system and file against the other driver. In this case, you may be able to recover compensation for medical bills (past and future) as well as lost wages, pain and suffering, and mental anguish.

How do I file against the other driver?

Recovering compensation from the other party is often more complicated than filing a claim with your own insurer. This is because you need to prove the other party’s negligence caused the accident. For you to be able to file against the other party, our car accident lawyers must establish the following:

  • The other driver owed you a duty to behave responsibly behind the wheel.
  • The other driver breached that duty by acting negligently or recklessly at the time of your accident. Violating traffic laws, drinking and driving, and texting while driving could all be breaches of duty.
  • The other driver’s breach of duty caused your accident.
  • You suffered damages in the accident.

Our attorneys will prove these elements by using police reports, state statutes, expert and eyewitness testimony, and medical records.

How can an attorney help me recover compensation for my medical bills?

Even though your own insurer should be looking out for you, this is rarely ever the case. Your insurer and the other party’s insurer will be looking out for their own bottom line. This means that both insurers will do what they can to give you as little compensation as possible. Ways they might attempt to do this include:

  • Tricking you into admitting fault
  • Tricking you into admitting that your injuries are not serious
  • Claiming that you are exaggerating or falsifying your injuries
  • Offering you a low settlement, hoping that you will accept what you can get
  • Offering you a quick settlement before you have had a chance to determine the severity of your injuries
  • Tricking you into signing a medical release form/claiming your injuries were preexisting

Our team knows the tricks insurers pull and how to defend our clients against them. We will:

  • Manage all communication with the insurer to ensure you do not say something to jeopardize your claim
  • Review all settlement offers to ensure they cover all your accident-related expenses
  • Review anything the insurer wants you to sign
  • Build a defense against any accusations of liability

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, you are likely all too familiar with how expensive medical services can be. When you are trying to recover from an injury and support your family, trying to file a claim by yourself can be a huge mistake. Let the attorneys at Farmer, Jaffe, Weissing, Edwards, Fistos & Lehrman, P.L. get you the compensation you need to pay these bills.

Call 954-524-2820 to find out how we can assist you.